A 180-day moratorium on medical marijuana dispensing facilities is now in effect for unincorporated Manatee County.
During the second required public hearing Tuesday, Manatee County Commission approved the moratorium.
“It’s not a prohibition on medical marijuana,” Bill Clague, assistant county attorney, said during the first public hearing earlier this month.
Since medical marijuana is a land use not currently addressed in Manatee County codes, the temporary moratorium, which is similar to what other jurisdictions in the state are doing since Amendment 2 passed, gives the opportunity for the county to review all the laws, Fred Goodrich, a planner with Manatee County, said earlier this month.
Never miss a local story.
The Bradenton City Council on Wednesday will consider a moratorium for the city.
Also on Tuesday, the commission:
- Appointed Betsy Benac as chairwoman of the commission for 2017 and Robin DiSabatino as vice-chairwoman. Vanessa Baugh will be the Port Manatee chairwoman.
- Authorized $11.2 million in funding the children’s services annual plan for programs and services for children for fiscal year 2017-18.
- Approved an increase in membership fee for G.T. Bray Recreation Center effective April 2017.
- Approved a $25 million bond issue by the Housing Finance Authority of Manatee County for the acquistion and rehabilitation of a 178-unit multifamily housing project, 2710 River Circle, Bradenton, as well as a 40 single-family home project located at 1449 17th St. Circle E., Bradenton.
- Authorized submitting the 2015-16 Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- Approved the county’s 2017 legislative platform, which includes $2.8 million for stormwater and drainage improvements in Rubonia.
- Authorized agreements with both Manatee County Youth Rowing Inc. and Suncoast Aquatic Nature Center Associates for implementing rowing/paddling actitives at Fort Hamer Park.
- Heard a presentation about the county’s Economic Development Incentive Program.