World

Cuba accuses US of fabrication after Axios report alleging drone threat

A man marches holding a Cuban national flag along Havana's waterfront to mark International Workers' Day on May 1. A report by Axios on Sunday, citing classified intelligence, said that Cuba had acquired more than 300 military drones. Havana denied the claims.
A man marches holding a Cuban national flag along Havana's waterfront to mark International Workers' Day on May 1. A report by Axios on Sunday, citing classified intelligence, said that Cuba had acquired more than 300 military drones. Havana denied the claims. AFP via Getty Images

HAVANA - Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez accused the U.S. on Sunday of fabricating a “fraudulent case” to justify economic sanctions and potential military intervention.

The minister’s comments followed a report by Axios on Sunday, citing classified intelligence, which said that Cuba had acquired more than 300 military drones.

“Cuba neither threatens nor desires war,” Rodriguez said in a post on social media, adding that the country “prepares itself to confront external aggression in the exercise of the right to legitimate self-defense recognized by the UN Charter.”

The report alleged that Havana had discussed plans to use them to attack the U.S. naval base at Guantanamo Bay, U.S. military vessels and Key West, Florida.

Rodriguez did not explicitly mention the drone allegations in his statement. 

The intelligence - which could become a pretext for U.S. military action - shows the degree to which the Trump administration sees Cuba as a threat because of developments in drone warfare and the presence of Iranian military advisers in Havana, a senior U.S. official told the publication.

Reuters could not immediately verify the Axios report.

Tensions between the two nations are soaring.

U.S. Department of Justice sources told Reuters last week they planned to indict former Cuban leader Raúl Castro on charges related to Cuba’s 1996 shooting down of two planes operated by the humanitarian group Brothers to the Rescue.

An indictment of the 94-year-old revolutionary icon would mark a major escalation in the pressure campaign against Cuba by the Trump administration, which has described the island’s communist-run government as corrupt and incompetent as it pushes for change.

The U.S. has previously used criminal cases against foreign political figures to justify military actions, and Trump has threatened that Cuba “is next” after his administration in January captured Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro.

CIA Director John Ratcliffe met with Cuban officials, including Raúl Castro’s grandson, during an exceedingly rare high-level visit to the island on Thursday.

Copyright Reuters or USA Today Network via Reuters Connect.

This story was originally published May 17, 2026 at 5:03 PM.

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER