Confrontation between Bradenton man and his mom’s boyfriend ends in deadly shooting, cops say

A 23-year-old Bradenton man was living with his mother and her boyfriend up until about a week ago when the home was burglarized. The boyfriend accused him of being involved with the break-in, according to the Manatee County Sheriff’s Office.

Tevin Hickson-Johnson moved out, but things quickly turned deadly during a confrontation when he showed up on Tuesday night to pick up his belongings.

He was arrested and charged with second-degree murder within hours of the death of Wallace Stewart, who was dating Hickson-Johnson’s mother.

Just after 8 p.m. Tuesday, Hickson-Johnson got a ride to his mother’s home in the 200 block of 31st Avenue East in Bradenton, according to probable cause affidavit. Stewart let him in but immediately punched him in the face and put him a chokehold. The two fell to the floor as they struggled and Hickson-Johnson’s mother and sister tried to pull Stewart off of him, detectives later learned.

When he was finally free, according to detectives, Hickson-Johnson pulled out a pistol, shot Stewart once and left with the same ride.

A 911 caller reported the shooting but when deputies arrived, neither the shooter nor the victim were found. Hickson-Johnson’s mother had rushed Stewart to Manatee Memorial Hospital, and they arrived within moments of that 911 call. Stewart was then airlifted to Blake Medical Center for further treatment.

At 10:23 p.m., Stewart died, according to the sheriff’s office.

Detectives with the sheriff’s office Violent Crime Task Force had already started investigating the shooting and had responded to the hospital and home. The Manatee Homicide Investigative Unit took over the investigation after Stewart died.

At the home, the lead homicide detective learned that Hickson-Johnson was communicating with a family member there at the scene and that he wanted to talk. Hickson-Johnson was found and willingly went to the sheriff’s office to speak with detectives.

Hickson-Johnson told detectives that Stewart had a pistol tucked inside his waistband when he let him in and that he managed to take it from Stewart when he broke from the chokehold, according to the report. But when pressed further by detectives, Stewart admitted that he had actually brought a gun with him but insisted that Stewart was armed also.

Detectives said they did not find another gun in the home or in the vehicle used to take Stewart to the hospital.

Hickson-Johnson faces charges of second-degree murder, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and violation of probation. He is being held without bond at the Manatee County jail.

Hickson-Johnson was released from a Florida prison in August 2017 and put on probation for 2016 convictions for trafficking in stolen goods, giving false information to a pawn broker and burglary, according to Florida Department of Corrections records. He was supposed to be on probation for four years, until Dec. 26, 2021.

His criminal history includes convictions for possession of marijuana and possession and drug paraphernalia, as well as juvenile convictions for burglary, resisting arrest with violence and grand theft, according to court records.