Palmetto's Tre Clark verbally commits to Furman
Palmetto's Tre Clark verbally commits to Furman
PALMETTO -- After visiting Furman University over the weekend, Tre Clark knew where wanted to spend the next four years of his life.
So Monday night, the Palmetto High guard who led Manatee and Sarasota counties in prep boys basketball scoring by averaging close to 25 points per game, called Furman and told head coach Niko Medved he was coming to the Greenville, S.C., school.
"It's a relief and I am glad it's over. I like the academics at Furman and I got a good feel for the coaches," Clark said. "The coaching staff is young and have a vision that I believe in. When they first came to the program, it had only won seven games and the next season they won 14 and last year were the runner-up in their conference.
Furman finished the regular season 19-15 and was 11-7 in the Southern Conference.
The Paladins, playing in the postseason CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament, won their opening round game 58-57 over Louisiana Monroe.
Clark received scholarship offers from six Division I schools including Navy, South Alabama, Rider, Youngstown and College of Charleston.
He said he has been told by the Furman coaches they plan to play him next season in one of the guard sports.
The 6-foot-5 Clark rotated between point guard and shooting guard this season.
"I am probably going to be doing a lot of the same things I did at Palmetto in regards to the positions. I feel so much better now that I committed," said Clark, who has not yet turned 18.
Tre's father, Willie Clark, principal of Palmetto High and former Notre Dame football player, said academics was important and the fact Forbes rates Furman the 110th-best college in the country played a role in his son's decision.
Alan Dell, Herald sports columnist/writer, can be reached at 941-745-7056. Follow him on Twitter@ADellSports
This story was originally published March 15, 2016 at 12:00 AM with the headline "Palmetto's Tre Clark verbally commits to Furman ."