Food & Drink

Dirty dining: Live roaches prompt closure of Bradenton-area Chinese restaurant

During the most recent inspections of Manatee County restaurants, China One in Palmetto was temporarily shut down after roaches

Several other Bradenton-area restaurants were cited for major employee handwashing issues.

Here’s what inspectors found.

China One, 613 10th St. E., Palmetto

  • An inspector ordered that China One in Palmetto be temporarily shut down on Oct. 17 after roach activity was observed on site.
  • An inspector observed a total of seven live roaches on site, including one roach that was observed running across a refrigerator, two that were observed in air vent slats at the bottom of a reach-in freezer and three roaches that were by a cutting board and sugar container on the cook line.
  • An inspector observed three dead roaches on site.

  • An employee began working without washing hands.
  • Breaded chicken, chicken and boneless ribs were cold held at temperatures greater than 41 degrees.
  • An inspector observed multiple instances of raw animal food stored over ready-to-eat food including raw chicken wings over boneless ribs, raw chicken over spring rolls and raw beef over raw fish.
  • A cutting board was stained/soiled.
  • Egg rolls, noodles and breaded chicken that had been prepared on site were not properly date-marked.
  • A wet wiping cloth was not stored in sanitizing solution in between uses.
  • Walk-in cooler shelves were pitted with rust.
  • Walk-in cooler gaskets had a slimy/mold-like buildup.
  • There was grease accumulated on the kitchen floor and/or under cooking equipment.
  • A bag of onions, a bang of cabbage and sauce containers were stored on the floor in various areas of the restaurant.
  • Chicken was kept in a cracked food storage container in a refrigerator.
  • An employee with no hair restraint was engaged in food preparation.
  • During a follow-up inspection on Oct. 18, an inspector observed a live roach by a sugar container under a prep table. The restaurant owner killed it and sanitized the area.
  • An inspector again observed raw animal foods being stored over ready-to-eat foods.
  • Boneless ribs, breaded chicken and egg rolls wee being cold held at temperatures greater than 41 degrees. A manager discarded the items.
  • The restaurant remained shut down.
  • After another follow-up inspection on Oct. 18, the restaurant met inspection standards and was allowed to reopen.

D. Americo’s Pizzeria, 812 62nd St. Circle E. #102, Bradenton

  • Shredded mozzarella, minced sausage, ricotta cheese and pizza sauce were cold held at temperatures greater than 41 degrees. An inspector advised the restaurant operator to lower the temperature at the unit and keep the hood door closed.
  • Reach-in cooler shelves were soiled with food debris.
  • Open packages of cheesecake and minced sausage were not properly date-marked.
  • The interior of a reach-in cooler was soiled with accumulated food residue.
  • No test kit was at hand to measure the strength of sanitizer in use for warewashing.
  • Pizza sauce, penne pasta and spaghetti that had been prepared on site were not properly date-marked.
  • No probe thermometer was at hand to measure the temperature of food products.
  • A wood surface used for preparing pizza dough was not properly sealed.
  • A wall was soiled.
  • The ceiling was dirty.
  • Walk-in cooler shelves were pitted with rust and encrusted with food debris.
  • A follow-up inspection was required.

BEHIND OUR REPORTING

Why did we report this story?

Each week, the Bradenton Herald reviews data of restaurants that have been recently inspected in Manatee County. Local public health departments regularly inspect businesses serving food to ensure restaurants and other food retail outlets are following safe food handling procedures.

Gecko’s Grill & Pub, 4310 S.R. 64 E., Bradenton

  • A dishwasher was observed handling soiled dishes or utensils and then handling clean dishes or utensils without first washing hands.

  • An employee was observed washing hands with cold water only.

  • Dish machine sanitizer was not at the proper minimum strength.

  • Pico de gallo, beef patties, raw tuna, corn salsa, diced tomatoes, sliced tomatoes, raw shrimp, shredded cheese linguine, sliced provolone cheese, sliced cheddar cheese, cut cherry tomatoes and hard boiled eggs were cold held at temperatures greater than 41 degrees. An inspector advised the restaurant operator to ice down the foods in reach-in cooler drawers and lower the temperatures at the reach-in coolers.

  • Raw animal food was stored over ready-to-eat food in a walk-in cooler. Corrective action was taken.

  • Open packages of milk, cheesecake and key lime pie were not properly date-marked.

  • Hot water at a handwash sink in the dishwashing area did not reach 100 degrees.

  • Multiple soda guns at the bar were soiled, according to an inspector.

  • A wet wiping cloth was not stored in sanitizing solution in between uses.

  • Reach-in cooler shelves were pitted with rust.

  • A case of food was stored on the floor of a walk-in freezer.

  • A follow-up inspection was required.

Sonny’s BBQ, 631 67th St. Circle E., Bradenton

  • A dishwasher was observed handling soiled dishes and then handling clean dishes without first washing hands.
  • A server washed hands with cold water only.
  • Sauced pulled pork, pulled chicken, baked beans and macaroni and cheese were hot held at temperatures less than 135 degrees.
  • A handwash sink was not accessible for employee use due to a wiping cloth bucket stored inside.
  • Single service items were stored unprotected from contamination.
  • Walk-in cooler shelves were encrusted with food debris.
  • Reach-in cooler shelves were soiled with food debris.
  • A follow-up inspection was required.

Demetrios’ Pizza House, 1720 Cortez Road W., Bradenton

  • There was an accumulation of black mold-like substance in the interior of an ice machine.
  • A dishwasher was observed handling soiled dishes and then handling clean dishes without first washing hands.
  • A server was observed washing hands with cold water.
  • No handwashing sign was provided at a sink on the cook line.

  • A cook was observed touching spaghetti and sausage with bare hands while plating food.
  • Shredded mozzarella and sliced tomatoes were cold held at temperatures greater than 41 degrees.
  • Warewashing sanitizing solution exceeded the maximum concentration allowed.
  • The certified food manager or person in charge lacked knowledge of foodborne illnesses and symptoms of illness that would prevent an employee from working with food.

  • The certified food manager was unable to answer basic food code questions pertaining to the safe operation of the establishment. The restaurant operator was unaware of proper reheating procedures, according to an inspector.

  • Open tiramisu was not properly date-marked.

  • No currently certified food manager was on duty while four or more employees were engaged in food preparation or handling. A certified food manager reported to the establishment during the inspection.

  • There was no proof of required training for three employees.

  • Reach-in cooler shelves were pitted with rust.

  • Walk-in cooler shelves were pitted with rust and encrusted with food debris.

  • The ceiling was dirty.

  • A wet wiping cloth was not stored in sanitizing solution in between uses.

  • A cutting board had cut marks and was no longer cleanable.

  • An employee with no hair restraint was engaged in food preparation. Corrective action was taken.

  • A follow-up inspection was required.

Dunkin’, 812 62nd St. Circle E. # 101, Bradenton

  • An inspector observed an employee enter the establishment, put on gloves and begin handling food without ever washing hands.
  • Cream cheese, breaded chicken breast, sliced ham and fried egg were cold held at temperatures greater than 41 degrees.
  • Two handwash sinks were not accessible for employee use. Corrective action was taken.
  • Wiping cloth sanitizing solution was not at the proper minimum strength. Corrective action was taken.
  • A wet wiping cloth was not stored in sanitizing solution in between uses.
  • There was limescale buildup inside of an ice machine.
  • An employee with no hair restraint was engaged in food preparation.
  • Employee cigarettes were stored with or above food, clean equipment or single-service items.
  • Coffee filters were stored unprotected from contamination.
  • A case of food was stored on the floor. Corrective action was taken.
  • A follow-up inspection was required.
Restaurant Inspection_fitted.jpeg

Editor’s Note: According to the Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulation, these reports are a “snapshot” of the conditions present at the time of the inspection and are public record. The agency is required to inspect every licensed restaurant at least once per year, but new and “high-risk” establishments tend to be inspected more frequently.

When an emergency shutdown order is given by an inspector, it must first be reviewed and approved by agency supervisors. In order for a business to reopen, an inspector will continue visiting the establishment daily until compliance is met. Some citations may include a financial penalty. Inspectors may also respond to complaints, which can be filed here.

Related stories from Bradenton Herald

  Comments