Kyle Busch's Interview From 2019 Has Resurfaced After Tragic Death
The sports world lost an icon this week in NASCAR driver Kyle Bush. He was just 41 years old.
It was reported Thursday that Busch was hospitalized with a severe illness. His family later revealed that he died from severe pneumonia that progressed into sepsis.
Busch had an incredible career, winning 63 races in the Cup Series, 102 races in the O'Reilly Auto Parts Series and 69 races in the Craftsman Truck Series. Just last week, he won the Ecosave 200 at Dover Motor Speedway.
"Throughout a career that spanned more than two decades, Kyle set records in national series wins, won championships at NASCAR's highest level and fostered the next generation of drivers as an owner in the Truck Series," NASCAR said in a statement. "His sharp wit and competitive spirit sparked a deep emotional connection with race fans of every age, creating the proud and loyal ‘Rowdy Nation.' Our thoughts are with Samantha, Brexton and Lennix, Kyle and Samantha's parents, Kurt and all of Kyle's family, Richard and Judy Childress, everyone at Richard Childress Racing, his teammates, friends and fans."
Two days after Busch passed away, FOX Sports broadcaster Kaitlyn Vincie revisited one of her interviews with the two-time Cup Series champion.
"These Kyle Busch comments after earning his second Cup title speak to his intense competitive spirit," Vincie said. "Some of his final remarks in this interview are tough to digest however, looking back."
After Busch won his second Cup Series title in 2019, he made it clear that he wasn't satisfied with his success.
"I've been here 14 years, I think, and I've won two [championships]," Busch said. "I'm still behind. Tony Stewart won three, Jeff Gordon won four, Jimmie Johnson has seven."
Vincie stopped Busch's rant to remind him that he's really young. His response to that question unfortunately looks different now given the circumstances.
"Yes and no. I've been here a long time," Busch replied. "Can I make it to 40? I don't know."
Kyle Busch will be honored this weekend.
Josh Stein, the governor of North Carolina, said all U.S. and North Carolina flags will be lowered to half-staff over the weekend to honor Busch.
"Kyle was not just a talented and record-setting driver; he was also a kind person," Gov. Stein said. "His loss will be felt throughout the entire NASCAR community and well beyond. May his memory be a blessing."
NASCAR is expected to honor Busch before the Coca-Cola 600 begins this Sunday night.
Some drivers, including Chase Elliott and Brad Keselowski, spoke highly about Busch during their pre-race media availability Saturday.
Copyright The Arena Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved
This story was originally published May 23, 2026 at 6:02 PM.