Kyle Busch Proposed Rule Change To NASCAR CEO Just Days Before His Death
Prior to his unexpected death, Kyle Busch reached out to NASCAR CEO Steve O'Donnell with a request about the Truck Series.
Busch won the Ecosave 200 at Dover Motor Speedway last week, securing his 69th win in the Craftsman Truck Series. Just days later, he passed away from severe pneumonia that progressed into sepsis. He was hospitalized on Wednesday after being found unresponsive while in the Chevrolet racing simulator in Concord, North Carolina.
"Our entire NASCAR family is heartbroken by the loss of Kyle Busch. A future Hall of Famer, Kyle was a rare talent, one who comes along once in a generation. He was fierce, he was passionate, he was immensely skilled and he cared deeply about the sport and fans. Throughout a career that spanned more than two decades, Kyle set records in national series wins, won championships at NASCAR's highest level and fostered the next generation of drivers as an owner in the Truck Series," NASCAR said in a statement. "His sharp wit and competitive spirit sparked a deep emotional connection with race fans of every age, creating the proud and loyal ‘Rowdy Nation.' Our thoughts are with Samantha, Brexton and Lennix, Kyle and Samantha's parents, Kurt and all of Kyle's family, Richard and Judy Childress, everyone at Richard Childress Racing, his teammates, friends and fans. NASCAR lost a giant of the sport today, far too soon."
Speaking to the media Friday afternoon, O'Donnell revealed that Busch was pushing for a rule change that would give an exception for drivers in the Truck Series over the age of 40.
O'Donnell believes Busch was trying to set the stage for him to compete on the same track as his son Brexton.
"What I look back on is a text from Kyle (on) Tuesday, as only Kyle could do - and I keep looking at it - and he said: 'Hey, man, what do you think about an over-40 rule to be able to compete in all the Truck Series races next year.' I said, 'You know, we put that rule in place because you were winning so much,' but when we looked about it and had a meeting Wednesday internally, we thought, 'Damn, that's actually good. We need Kyle in the Truck Series," O'Donnell said, via the New York Post.
"It was twofold. He knew he could help the Series, but I think one day had a dream to race against his son in a national series event."
There's already a seat in NASCAR waiting for Brexton Busch.
Richard Childress Racing announced Friday that Busch's No. 8 car will be suspended indefinitely. That vehicle will be reserved exclusively for his 11-year-old son.
"Richard Childress Racing has elected to suspend use of the No. 8 and will run the No. 33 at Charlotte Motor Speedway and beyond. Kyle Busch was instrumental in the design of RCR's stylized No. 8 and it has become synonymous with Kyle and an important symbol for his fans and the NASCAR industry. No one can carry it forward to the level that he did. The No. 8 is reserved and ready for Brexton Busch when he is ready to go NASCAR racing."
NASCAR fans would love to see Brexton eventually carry the torch and shine on the track.
For now though, NASCAR fans are trying their best to send the Busch family love and support.
Copyright The Arena Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved
This story was originally published May 23, 2026 at 3:34 PM.