Weather

Chances drop that tropical system turns into 'Alex'

A low-pressure system in the Atlantic Ocean about 1,375 miles from the Windward Islands had become more disorganized, decreasing the chance it would turn into the first tropical storm of the season, according to the National Hurricane Center.

As of 2 p.m. EDT, there was a 40 percent chance that the system, made up of showers and thunderstorms, would turn into a tropical storm or hurricane. This morning, the chances were listed at 60 percent.

If the system turns into a tropical storm, it will be named "Alex."

"Environmental conditions are marginally conducive for development, but are expected to become less favorable in a day or two," the Hurricane Center said in a bulletin.

If Alex is born this month, it would be a rare tropical event.

Only one named storm has formed in the mid-Atlantic in June, Tropical Storm Ana in 1979.

Last year, the first named storm of the Atlantic season, also Tropical Storm Ana, did not form until Aug. 11.

In 2008, Tropical Storm Arthur formed May 31, on the eve of the official start of the season.

The official hurricane season runs from June 1 to Nov. 30 each year.

Related stories from Bradenton Herald

  Comments