Where is she? Miami police investigate possible abduction after scary text

Karla Vasquez.
Karla Vasquez.

About an hour before sunrise Thursday, Karla Vasquez called her husband and said she was in danger and that he needed to come home immediately, police said.

He didn’t take it seriously - until he received a text about an hour later saying the initial call wasn’t a joke and that Vasquez had been abducted by two men.

Her husband raced home from work, police said. When he got there, Vasquez was gone. So was her black, 2008 Chevy Suburban with a yellow Michael Jordan sticker on the rear.

In the ensuing hours, Vasquez’s husband - whose name hasn’t been released - was sent several more texts indicating his wife was in dire straits. By Thursday afternoon police searching for Vasquez weren’t sure if those texts came from her or the men she was allegedly with - or even if the whole incident is a hoax.

“We don’t know if this is a prank. But we’re taking this very seriously,” said Miami Police Detective Kenia Fallat.

Police said there doesn’t appear to be any disruption at the home at 1742 NW 42nd St., in Allpattah, that would indicate any foul play took place inside. And several questions that could help solve the riddle have yet to be answered.

Was Vasquez home when her husband left to work his graveyard shift? Would she have any reason to be awake and about at 5 a.m.? And if she was abducted, how was she able to text her husband messages?

“Right now we’re considering it a possible abduction,” said Fallat

Does she know the men she was allegedly with and whose names haven’t been released?

Miami police are investigating a possible abduction and have closed off Northwest 42nd Avenue between 17th and 18th avenues.

Police received a call from a man who said he got a text from his wife that she was in danger, and possibly kidnapped.

The man doubted the story, went home — and discovered she was not there.

Police identified the woman as Karla Vasquez, 32.

Police are trying to find the woman using the GPS on her cellphone.

The incident started around 6 a.m. Thursday when she texted her husband.

“If it is a hoax, we don’t know,. But we’re taking it very seriously,” said Miami police spokeswoman Kenia Fallat.