After plunging from Royal Caribbean ship, man saved by Disney Magic

A passenger who plunged into the sea from one of the world’s largest cruise ships last week was later rescued by crew members from another vessel.

Royal Caribbean International’s Oasis of the Seas, which can carry as many as 6,360 passengers, was sailing near Cozumel at 6:07 a.m. Jan. 8 when a 22-year-old man went overboard from deck 5. A spokeswoman for the Miami-based cruise operator did not say how he went over, but said video surveillance showed he was alone at the time.

“He was spotted by a crew member from another cruise ship and picked up,” spokeswoman Cynthia Martinez said in an email, referring to the Disney Magic. “We are grateful for the other ship's assistance.”

The 2,700-passenger Disney Magic, which sails from Port Canaveral, was also near Cozumel on the morning of Jan. 8. A passenger who was on the Disney ship posted a nearly three-minute video on YouTube showing a yellow lifeboat from the ship navigating toward a person in the water. In the video, the man swims toward the lifeboat and is brought aboard.

Oasis of the Seas, which is based in Fort Lauderdale, had left Port Everglades Jan. 3 for a seven-night cruise that included stops in Labadee, Haiti; Falmouth, Jamaica and Cozumel.

Disney Cruise Line confirmed the incident but would not give any details, including the time the man was plucked from the waves.

Cozumel Port Captain Alfonso Rodríguez told CNN International that someone reported the man in the water at 7:31 a.m. According to the CNN story, Rodríguez said the 22-year-old didn’t remember how he fell into the water but received medical care on the ship and in a hospital in Mexico before he was flown back to the United States in good condition.

Last week’s Oasis of the Seas voyage started out dramatically on Jan. 3 when a 4-year-old boy from Italy nearly drowned in a wave pool. The ship had left port about an hour earlier when the child wandered away from his parents and disappeared under the water for nearly six minutes as his mother searched for him. The vessel returned to port so the boy could be taken to the hospital.