Breaking News Blog

Kitchen fire put out in Palmetto Trace Apartments

PALMETTO -- Firefighters were able to quickly put out a kitchen fire in Palmetto Trace Apartments on Thursday morning.

At 10:26 a.m., North River Fire District was dispatched to reports of a fire alarm going off in a building in the Palmetto Trace Apartments, 102 Eighth St. E., Palmetto. En route, the call was upgraded to a reported structure fire, according to North River Battalion Chief Cole Miller.

When the first responders arrived, they saw light smoke on the first floor, Miller said. Firefighters entered an apartment and located a kitchen fire and it was quickly extinguished.

"The fire was due to cooking," Miller said. "The building was quickly evacuated when we got on scene."

There was no one inside the apartment when firefighters arrived and there were no injuries reported. The damage is still undetermined and the fire is still under investigation.

A total of three fire trucks and 10 men responded to the fire, Miller said.

Bradenton Fire Department had also been called to assist but never responded when North River quickly canceled the request after arriving to the scene. Palmetto police and paramedics also responded.

Jessica De Leon, Herald law enforcement reporter, can be reached at 941-745-7049. You can follow her on Twitter@JDeLeon1012.

  Comments