MANATEE -- Firefighters were called to a home in Northwest Bradenton about 4:30 p.m. Tuesday after a fire was set to smoke out bees from a hollow oak tree, according to West Manatee Fire and Rescue.
Landscapers were working in the front yard of a home in the 5200 block of Riverview Boulevard when they discovered the oak tree they were trimming was hollow with a bee hive inside, according to Battalion Chief Rich Jasinski. The workers tried to smoke out the bees.
West Manatee Fire and Rescue was called by the homeowners concerned they may be Africanized bees, Jasinski said.
"They turned out to be just regular bees," he said.
A firefighter wearing gear to protect him from being stung was able to put out the fire, which never posed a threat to the home.