BRADENTON -- A fire that caused an estimated $70,000 damage to a Bradenton single-family home on the Fourth of July was not caused by errant fireworks, authorities say.
The fire at 2215 43rd St. W., Bradenton, started in the bedroom of the home at 10:48 p.m. Saturday, said Capt. Jeffrey Bruski of the Bradenton Fire Department.
"I just talked to the fire marshal who interviewed the inspector, and the fire was in the bedroom, from an as yet undetermined cause," Bruski said Sunday afternoon. "There is nothing suspicious. Fireworks were not the cause."
When units from the Bradenton Police Department went to the house, the homeowner reported that his dog woke him up with excessive barking, according to a BPD report. "The lone resident was safely outside with his dog on our arrival," the police report adds.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Five engines from Bradenton, one engine from the West Manatee Fire Department and a total of 14 firefighters had the blaze under control by 11:20 p.m., Bruski said.
"We had black smoke in the front, and the fire was in the rear bedroom," Bruski said when asked what firefighters encountered when arriving. "We believe the furniture in the bedroom was on fire, and the contents of the bedroom. There was also a little activity in the attic. There were no injuries. There were no children involved."
The home was boarded up with plywood on Sunday. Bruski said it is not habitable. The electricity has been shut off, he said. He did not know if the home is repairable.
The firefighters were able to contain the fire and the nearby houses were not damaged, Bruski said.
"Everyone did their jobs," Bruski said of the "C shift" at the Bradenton Fire Department.
Richard Dymond, Herald reporter, can be reached at 941-745-7072 or contact him via Twitter@RichardDymond.