Witnesses say child burned after falling on grill; Manatee mom charged

MANATEE -- A 34-year-old woman was charged with child neglect Thursday after she failed to bring her child to the hospital right away after he suffered second-degree burns from a fall, the sheriff’s office reports.

Samantha Wilson was arrested at about 7 p.m. in the 1900 block of 47th Avenue Drive West.

Several neighbors witnessed the child falling onto a grill in his front yard Tuesday, suffering burns to his right upper arm, about three-and-a-half inches long and an inch-and-a-half wide, according to an arrest report

Wilson, with the help of neighbors, attempted to self medicate and treat the burn themselves.

The report said the victim began to blister and was against given ointment and had his wounds wrapped in bandages before being taken to day care. The child was picked up from day care and brought home that day without being medically checked, the report added.

By Thursday, Wilson mentioned the burn to a social worker but said it was minor, the report said. The child was taken to Manatee Memorial Hospital afterward and treated for burns.

Wilson was released from Manatee County jail Friday without having to post a bond.