Heroin in Manatee: the Herald's series
Special section online: http://www.bradenton.com/heroin-epidemic
• Overview on the heroin epidemic underway in Manatee County, and why officials say the problem has gotten so terrible.
• Brandilyn Karnehm, a local recovering opioid addict, shares her story on the horrors of addiction.
• Manatee law enforcement officials talk about the increased struggle of shutting down heroin suppliers.
• Treatment officials at Manatee Glens are increasingly strained on addiction treatment and need more publicly funded beds.
• Florida is 49th out of 50 states in mental health and addiction treatment funding, and local lawmakers say it is more of a priority now than it's ever been.
• Many say education and prevention is the best way to cut down on addiction, yet drug education programs in Manatee County schools have been slashed in recent years.
• Officials agree that shutting down the heroin epidemic would be driven mainly from treatment centers and education, yet both of those have seen budget cuts just as a need for those services rose.