BRADENTON -- Firefighters responded to a small bedroom fire Monday afternoon at an east Bradenton house.
Shortly after 3:30 p.m. Monday, firefighters from Southern Manatee Fire Rescue and Cedar Hammock Fire Rescue were on scene at 5728 12th St. E., Bradenton, as the residents looked on. In front of the home lay two charred mattresses and burnt bed frames.
According to Southern Manatee Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Herb Smith, firefighters were dispatched at 3:10 p.m. Monday and arrived three minutes later. He said a total of 13 responders arrived -- 11 fire personnel and two EMS workers.
"What we found when we got here was a mattress burning in the driveway, as well as a room that had been converted from a carport ... that had a small fire," Smith said. "Upon our arrival, it started ventilating through the window, self-ventilating and pretty much burned up everything in the room -- consumed the room."
No injuries were reported and, according to Smith, the rest of the house was salvageable. Those who reside in the home will be able to stay there Monday night.
Smith said he didn't think the fire was suspicious. He said the residents had complained of issues they had with the home.
Julie Laguerre, 17, who lives at the home where the fire took place, stood watching with some of her family members.
"I was terrified," Laguerre said.
According to Laguerre, her 8-year-old nephew Berthony St. Gerlus was in the room where the fire began.
After her nephew told her about the fire, Laguerre said she went to the room and saw fire underneath a bunk bed. She told her mother, who ran and grabbed personal records from the room and then tried to quell the fire.
"She tried to pull the mattress out the house and, as she's pulling it out, the fire's getting bigger and bigger," Laguerre recalled.
Laguerre said she thinks an electrical outlet by the bunk bed sparked the fire.
"The house is kind of old," the teenager said, "and it has some damage."
Amaris Castillo, law enforcement/island reporter, can be reached at 941-745-7051. Follow her on Twitter@AmarisCastillo.