As motorists travel over the southern end of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, many do not realize that they are crossing an island called Terra Ceia.
Today, Terra Ceia is mostly a residential area, but at one time, it was a thriving agricultural and business community.
Terra Ceia covers about 1,000 acres and extends out into Tampa Bay and beyond U.S. 19 across to Terra Ceia River, which separates the island from the mainland. It is bordered on the north by Tampa Bay, on the west by Tampa Bay and the Gulf of Mexico and on the south by Terra Ceia Bay.
There have been many
spellings of the name Terra Ceia. But by 1897, when the name appeared in the general directory for Manatee County, it was spelled as Terra Ceia, the way we spell it today. There is some question about the name's meaning. While it cannot be literally interpreted from either Spanish or Portuguese as Heavenly Land, this is also the commonly held meaning and dates back more than 100 years.
Island a garden spot
The island was known for its rich soil and ability to produce crops of all kinds from citrus to vegetables, including celery and peppers and also flowers. At one time, Terra Ceia-grown produce was known throughout the world. Asters grown on Terra Ceia were even used in the inaugural parade in early 1900s for President William Howard Taft.
In 1897, the general directory listed 120 heads of household on the island. Most were vegetable or citrus farmers, some were laborers. In 1913, the local newspaper reported 700 people lived on the island. At that time, land was valued at $500 to $1,000 an acre, which was considered high.
The first settlers to arrive, Julia and Joseph Atzeroth and their 3-year-old daughter, Eliza, settled along Terra Ceia Bay on the island's south shore. From their arrival, island activity focused on the area around Terra Ceia Bay because early settlers were dependent on the water for transportation of people and goods.
Bayshore Drive east from Center Road was the heart of the island's commercial district from the 1840s until the railroad arrived in the 1910s. During that period, stores and homes lined the road. The stores were actually out on docks over the bay so that goods could be directly loaded from the steamboats and sold to residents.
Water routes faded away
In the 1910s, when the railroad became the major means of transporting supplies, the importance of the steamboats and water routes decreased. A railroad spur line ran from the main line onto Terra Ceia. Emphasis shifted from the waterfront to inland areas closer to the railroad. The intersection of Terra Ceia Road and Center Road had a packing house, general store and bank.
In 1926, a tidal wave washed over the island, flooding it with saltwater and making if difficult to grow crops. The Seaboard Airline Railroad discontinued service to Terra Ceia. The tracks were pulled up and the depot abandoned. In 1931, the Bank of Terra Ceia failed as a result of the Great Depression. Now, the building houses the Terra Ceia post office.
Cathy Slusser, director of the Manatee County Historical Records Library, has worked for the Manatee County Clerk of Circuit Court's office as a historian for more than 30 years and is a resident of Terra Ceia Island. Reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org or 941-741-4070.