Local

Bradenton dog named Bear still on mend from fire rescue as vet bills mount

BRADENTON -- A dog named Bear who was rescued from a burning home by firefighters with the Bradenton Fire Department has been reunited with his owners.

The German shepherd was found unconscious with labored breathing at a fire at 6:55 p.m. Saturday in a home in the 600 block of 32nd Street

Bear is now back with his loved ones, who have been waiting for days for his return from an animal clinic.

On Saturday night, Bradenton firefighters arrived at the 32nd Street home. They discovered flames and smoke coming from the home. Bear was still inside.

Firefighters were able to rescue Bear and give him oxygen on the front lawn. Bear haD been at an animal clinic for treatment since the fire.

Owner Robert Fischbach said the dog shakes and is a little out of it but overall he is doing better.

“By the looks of things he seems to be getting better, so we want to remain hopeful. And it’s awesome just to have him back,” he said.

The Fischbachs will be able to move back into their home eventually. However, the fire caused about $15,000 in damage.

So far, Bear’s vet bills are around $1,200.

  Comments