Local

'Bear' returned to owner after rescue from fire

BRADENTON -- Firefighters with the Bradenton Fire Department rescued a dog named Bear from a burning home -- and now he's back home with his owners.

The German shepherd was found unconscious with labored breathing at a fire at 6:55 p.m. Saturday in a home in the 600 block of 32nd Street West, so firefighters gave the dog oxygen therapy. Firefighters reportedly arrived with smoke and flames coming from the back of the home.

The dog was transported to an animal clinic for treatment, said owner Robert Fischbach who is staying with friends and his wife, Angela.

"Bear is still not out of the woods," Fischbach said. "He's still having trouble breathing."

Damages to the home are estimated at $15,000. Fischbach said the fire was caused by faulty electrical wiring in a dishwasher, not an unattended stove as investigators first believed.

"It was 100 percent electrical," Fischbach said.

The fire is under investigation by the Bradenton Fire Department. There were no other injuries in the fire.

  Comments