I have been almost shaking in disbelief at what I have read in the Bradenton Herald concerning Long Bar Pointe. I cannot think of a more idiotic plan than what is being proposed to county commissioners. As I understand it, the atrocities that are being proposed include:
1. The land in question to be stripped of as many as 40 acres of mangroves and two acres of seagrasses, all of which are of utmost importance in keeping our fisheries viable.
There is only one thing that keeps our area's welcome mat out to fisherman (and to all the restaurant patrons who come for our delicious seafood,) and that is a sustainable quantity of fresh fish and shellfish. What do you think happens when the "nurseries" that produce these supplies are stripped of their protection for the next generation?
2. Why is one of the last remaining natural coastal areas in our county deemed necessary for a 60,000-square-foot shopping center, a 60,000-square-foot specialty retail center, an 84,000-square-foot conference center plus a hotel? Why can't all of these be built elsewhere in our county?
3. Why should valuable low-lying seabottom be dredged so that 100-foot boats can navigate to a marina that will certainly not be available to the county at large? What a travesty!
4. What about disaster protection? In the event of a major hurricane, how would the people already here ever get out? Our roads would become parking lots.
5. One final question: What do these developers stand to gain, and what to our gallant commissioners stand to gain? Do you suppose the answer starts with a capital M? If anyone should pop up with the argument, "But it will be so good for the economy," please think about "At what price"!
Please do not allow this scenario to happen.