News

Cigarette blamed in fatal Lakewood Ranch fire

LAKEWOOD RANCH — A woman who died in a fire at the Colonial Grand apartment complex Jan. 14 had been smoking on her balcony, the state fire marshal concluded in a recently completed investigation.

When Ann Clive’s clothing caught on fire from her cigarette, she tried to get back inside her apartment at 8100 Natures Way to get to a medic alert device, the report said.

She fell several times and was unable to get to the device.

East Manatee Fire Rescue firefighters responded to the fire 5:41 a.m. Jan. 14 after a passerby heard a woman crying for help, Chief Byron Teates previously told the Herald.

The witness went into the apartment and brought the victim outside to her porch. She was subsequently flown to a Tampa Bay burn unit where she died.

Investigators subsequently found several burn marks on the apartment’s carpet.

  Comments