News

Manatee resident suffers burns in gas flash fire

MANATEE -- Diane Gill saw smoke coming out the front door of the travel trailer across the street from her Thursday.

"I thought that trailer is on fire," Gill said.

It appears that Gill's neighbor on Sea Grape Road in Sarasota Bay Travel Trailer Park was doing a do-it-yourself plumbing job and opened a gas line rather than a water line, said Jim Davis, fire inspector for West Manatee Fire Rescue.

The resultant 'gas flash' set fire to a cabinet and some toilet paper and left the resident with some minor burns, Davis said.

Residents in the tight-knit park located in the 10,000 block of Cortez Road gathered in the street to comfort the fire victims, whose trailer did not sustain any structural damage.

"We're a friendly park," said resident Janice Hall.

  Comments