MANATEE - A malfunctioning kiln in an arts classroom started a fire at King Middle School this afternoon, according to West Manatee Fire and Rescue officials. No one was injured.
The problem occurred about 12:30 p.m. at the school, 600 75th St. NW, Bradenton. Students use the small kiln to fire artwork like pottery and ceramics.
A school official said students are safe after they were moved to either the lunch room or gymnasium.
Fire officials said the school's sprinkler system extinguished the small blaze.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Bradenton Herald