MANATEE -- A woman raped in a Palmetto orange grove almost 19 years ago told prosecutors recently that she did not wish to go through another trial during which she would have to relive the crime.
The victim’s wishes contributed to the prosecutors’ decision not to pursue a retrial of Derrick Williams, who served 18 years of a life sentence after he was convicted in 1993 of the rape but won a new trial on March 28 because of new DNA tests on evidence, said Lon Scott Arend, deputy chief assistant state attorney.
Williams was released from prison Monday in an emotional scene that thrilled his family.
“In meeting with the victim, we determined that it wasn’t in her best interest to go forward,” Arend said Tuesday morning.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
#ReadLocal
Although the victim did not want Arend to share her most of her views and feelings about Williams’ release from prison, she did offer one opinion that she did not mind being made public, Arend said.
“She said that she is still adamant that Derrick Williams is the man who raped her,” Arend said. “She identified him in multiple photo arrays and in a live line-up and in a trial.”
The state also shares that view but had to abandon a retrial because much of the evidence in the case has been destroyed due to moldy conditions in the Manatee County Sheriff’s Office evidence room and because of the victim’s choice, Arend said.
Circuit Judge Marc Gilner last week cited the destruction of evidence by the Manatee County Sheriff’s Office as another reason to grant Williams a new trial.
“Williams is the one who did it,” Arend said. “We fully believe he is the one who did it. The evidence didn’t exonerate him, it just gave him a new trial. But ultimately, because the remaining evidence was contaminated and because we had a victim unwilling to move forward, we decided to end it.”
The victim does not want revealed who she is, where she lives or works and what she is feeling now, Arend said.
“She doesn’t want me to share those things,” he said.
Richard Dymond, Herald reporter, can be reached at 748-0411, ext. 6686
Comments