MANATEE -- A family was displaced Wednesday morning after a fire destroyed their home.
Southern Manatee Fire Rescue and Cedar Hammock Fire Rescue responded to the residence at 11:26 a.m. It took firefighters about 30 minutes to knock the fire down.
Grey plumes of smoke escaped the small frame house.
No one was inside the residence located in the 2900 block of 15th Street East at the time.
Family members later showed up on scene. A woman who resides in the residence patted the back of a small child as tears ran down her face when fire officials met with her.
It’s unclear what started the fire.
Numerous residents called 911 when the blaze began to tear though the home.
“I was coming down U.S. 301 and I saw smoke. I immediately called 911,” said Jeff Halloran who was going home for his lunch break. He said white smoke escaped from the windows and flames were visible.
A total of 18 fire fighters were on scene with four engine trucks.