A possible solution to gun control:
While it is important to maintain our right to bear arms, I feel there is a better way to have gun control and not affect our rights. Having gun control does not stop our right to bear arms -- it may slow down the process, but save some lives over a period of time.
1. Have all current gun owners submit serial numbers of all weapons, with type, caliber, etc. showing current ownership throughout the U.S. (within 180 days).
2. New weapons can be purchased; however, require background checks and psychological profiles prior to allowing the purchase in all states on all firearms (maybe some type of ID card indicating their check are current). This can reduce felons and hopefully people with serious mental health issues from acquiring guns (legally).
Never miss a local story.
3. Anyone caught having illegal weapons, stolen weapons, etc. should get a mandatory 10-year sentence.
4. All weapon sales, private or not, must comply to these requirements, no exceptions.
5. Special licenses for collectors, sales, etc. of firearms.
6. The Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms Department could oversee this process and possibly have a country-wide computer system for all law enforcement offices to use. Lost or stolen guns would be reported through the system, serial numbers could be tracked, and law enforcement would have a tool to use for crime solving.
7. Automatic assault type weapons should be illegal except for government agencies and special license holders, like collectors. Existing weapons like this could be bought from the owners by the government to get them out of circulation, but need to be deemed illegal to own by the average person.