A craving for french fries apparently led to a fire that has displaced almost two dozen residents at a Tampa apartment complex.
Hillsborough County Fire Rescue and Tampa Fire Rescue responded to the fire Tuesday evening at the Cordova Apartment Homes at 12702 University Club Drive.
The complex's buildings are made of wood frame construction - which burned hot and fast.
Never miss a local story.
So fast, in fact, that a mother and her son had to jump off a second-floor balcony to escape. The woman suffered minor injuries and was taken to an area hospital to be checked out.
About 45 firefighters responded to the scene to fight the fire with 16 units from HCFR and Tampa Fire Rescue.
Nearly two dozen families - consisting of one infant, two toddlers, three teens and 14 adults - have been displaced because of the fire.
According to fire investigators, the fire started when a tenant was making french fries on his stove top and left the kitchen. By the time he returned, flames were shooting through his first-floor kitchen.
The flames spread quickly and torched the central section of the entire apartment building.
In addition to the one injury, two dogs perished in the fire.
The Red Cross is assisting residents and apartment officials are looking into using vacant units to help the residents impacted.