MANATEE — A 6-year-old boy and a 20-year-old man from Bradenton have contracted Manatee County’s fourth and fifth confirmed cases of the swine flu, according to the county health department.
The boy was diagnosed and treated at a local medical facility during the middle of last week and has recovered, said Dr. Ronald Cox, an epidemiologist with the health department.
The man was treated Friday and is recovering at his home, Cox said. The two cases do not appear related, but the man’s case is still under investigation, Cox said.
The relatively small time gap between the cases should not be a cause for concern, Cox said. While swine flu continues to be widespread, it generally has been mild.
Never miss a local story.
“It’s not as severe as first thought. It’s not even as severe as the common seasonal flu,” Cox said.
The swine flu cases are Manatee’s first since May 27, when a 17-year-old Bradenton Prep student was treated at an area medical facility. He recovered and returned to class.
People with a cough, fever and fatigue, possibly along with diarrhea and vomiting, should contact their health care provider to discuss whether they should be seen in the office or in a hospital emergency department, or stay home.
For more information, call the Department of Health swine flu hot line at (800) 775-8039. Family, workplace, school, health care and community planning assistance can be found at www. pandemicflu.gov/plan/index.html.