MANATEE -- Superintendent Rick Mills announced nine principal appointments Monday for the 2014-15 academic year, according to a school district news release.
Each candidate was chosen from a group of three finalists. All finalists participated in a school community forum at their assigned schools so faculties, students and parents could give their feedback about the candidates to Mills.
Before the appointed principals can officially take their roles, the School Board of Manatee County has to approve them. Following are the names of the appointees:
- Myakka City Elementary: Katherine Price, most recently an assistant principal at McNeal Elementary from 2010-14. She also taught second and third grade at McNeal from 2008-10.
- Rogers Garden Elementary: Latrina Singleton, most recently an assistant principal at Palmetto Elementary from 2011-14. Prior to that, she served as an international baccalaureate teacher at Brookside Middle in Sarasota from 2010-11.
- Stewart Elementary: Ruby Zickafoose, most recently an assistant principal at Orange Ridge-Bullock Elementary from 2013-14. Prior, she served as assistant principal at Wakeland Elementary from 2011-13.
- Palmetto Elementary: Michelle Mealor, most recently an assistant principal at Stenstrom Elementary in Seminole County from 2012-14. Prior, she served as assistant principal at Wekiva Elementary in Seminole County from 2010-12.
- Buffalo Creek Middle: Tony Losada, most recently an assistant principal at Manatee High from 2012-14. Prior, he served as assistant principal at Braden River Middle School from 2007-12.
- Harllee Middle: Nancy Farley, a retired principal/administrator from Indiana. She served in the Anderson Community School Corp. in Anderson, Ind., from 2002-13 in a variety of positions.
- Lee Middle: Scott Cooper, most recently an assistant principal at Bayshore High from 2010-14. Prior, he served as principal of Buffalo Creek Middle and assistant principal at Southeast High School.
- Sugg Middle: Darlene Proue, most recently an assistant principal at North Marion High in Marion County during the 2013-14 school year. Priort, she served as assistant principal at Lake Weir High in Marion County from 2010-13.
- Lakewood Ranch High: Justin Terry, most recently director of academic and career connections in the Wylie Independent School District in Wylie, Texas, during the 2013-14 school year. Prior, Terry served as a junior high principal in the Wylie District from 2010-13, and as a high school associate/assistant principal in the Wylie district from 2006-10.