A preliminary investigation indicates the deaths Monday of a 78-year-old woman and her 58-year-old son in Sarasota after they inhaled drain-opener chemicals appears to have been a murder-suicide, according to Sarasota Police Department.
Gertrudis Cintron, 78 and Angel Alicea-Estrada, 58, died after inhaling drain cleaner and it appears not to have been accidental, according to police spokeswoman Genevieve Judge.
“Preliminary investigation indicates this is a potential murder-suicide,” Judge stated in the update to media.
Never miss a local story.
Just before 11:30 a.m. Monday, the Sarasota County Fire Department was dispatched to the 2300 block of Margaret Street in Sarasota to reports of two unconscious people. A family member found Cintron and Alicea-Estrada and then called 911.
When firefighters responded to the home, they requested police assistance. One victims was taken to Sarasota Memorial Hospital and later pronounced dead while the other victim was pronounced dead at the home.
Sarasota County Hazmat Teams were called to the home Monday and eventually gave an “all clear” after all chemicals were removed, police said. No other homes in the area are in danger.