A 78-year-old woman and her 58-year-old son died Monday, after they inhaled drain opener chemicals, according to Sarasota police.
According to police spokeswoman Genevieve Judge, shortly after 11:30 a.m. Monday the Sarasota County Fire Department was dispatched to the 2300 block of Margaret Street in Sarasota about two unconscious people. They were found by a family member and that family member called 911, according to police.
When firefighters responded, Judge said they requested officers.
One of the victims was transported to Sarasota Memorial Hospital and the other was pronounced deceased at the home. The victim at the hospital later died, police said.
Never miss a local story.
“Detectives believe exposure to the drain opener chemicals caused the two deaths,” police said.
The investigation is active and ongoing.