MANATEE Delmer Smith’s trial for a home invasion in Bradenton, scheduled to begin next week, has been postponed, said 12th Judicial Circuit spokesman Dennis Menendez.
The trial was set for Feb. 27, according to Manatee court records.
Last year, Smith was found guilty in a Sarasota court of breaking into the home of an elderly woman in 2009.
In the upcoming Manatee case, Smith is accused of an April 21, 2009, home invasion during which he allegedly grabbed a 61-year-old woman and forced her into her home in the 200 block of 32nd Street Northwest in Bradenton, an arrest warrant affidavit shows.
Once inside, the attacker, wearing a ski mask and black clothing, placed a gun to the victim’s face and said, “Where is your purse ... I need crack,” the affidavit states.
Smith then allegedly emptied the woman’s jewelry box and stole money, a jar of change and a digital camera, among other items. When her husband came home, Smith allegedly pointed the gun at him. He then bound and gagged both victims.
Smith was charged with armed home invasion robbery and could face life in prison if convicted.
The 40-year-old is also suspected in as many as 10 home invasion robberies five in Manatee County and five in Sarasota County between February and August 2009. During one home invasion, he is accused of sexually assaulting a woman.
Smith is also slated to go to trial in July for the slaying of a Terra Ceia woman. He could be sentenced to death if convicted for killing Kathleen Briles.