ONECO — Construction workers struck a 4-inch natural gas line Thursday afternoon, causing a gas leak that shut down roads near 15th Street East and 63rd Avenue East for hours.
Workers were boring holes underneath the roadway when they struck the gas line, said Southern Manatee Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Herbert Smith.
The call came in just after 2:45 p.m. and engines had to respond in the event a fire was sparked from the gas fumes emitting from the street.
TECO personnel were on scene making repairs to the line that feeds natural gas to Blake Medical Center, the Bayshore Gardens area and west Bradenton. Gas lines were re-directed during the incident to prevent any outages, Smith said.
Never miss a local story.
Salvation Army volunteers were also on scene.
Whitfield Industrial Avenue, from Whitfield Avenue north to Whitfield Park Drive, will be closed through today for the repair.