MANATEE -- A proposal for 200 single family homes at Long Bar Pointe was tentatively OK'd Thursday by the Manatee County Planning Commission.
Residences are planned across 61.75 acres southwest of El Conquistador Parkway and about a half-mile north of 36th Street West.
Developers Cargor Partners VIII/Long Bar Pointe LLC of Bradenton are seeking approval of a preliminary site plan for the first phase of the Long Bar Pointe project facing Sarasota Bay in southwest Manatee County.
Several residents spoke against the project, citing environmental concerns.
Paul Valenz, first vice president of the Federation of Manatee County Community Associations, noted the extensive damage in the northeast part of the United States last year from Superstorm Sandy.
"The flooding was immense, and part of that flooding was due to overdevelopment of coastal properties," he said.
An attorney representing the developers, Edward Vogler II, said his clients had given "much thought and consideration for all matters regarding infrastructure and coastal concerns," which are reflected in the plans.
One developer, Carlos Beruff, attended the meeting, but did not speak and declined comment afterward.
Parts of the project would be located in a vacant, flood-prone area, and would require special approvals to build in low-lying coastal high hazard and coastal evacuation zones.
The development is planned as a private, gated community with two separate gates feeding traffic to El Conquistador Parkway.
With Thursday's action, developers could build another 1,200 homes across their Long Bar Pointe property that were granted through previous land development agreements, but the Manatee County Commission would have to OK further approvals, said county planner Shelley Hamilton after the meeting.
The planning commission is an advisory body. The county commission will make a final decision on the project.
Sara Kennedy, Herald reporter, can be reached at 941-745-7031. Follow her at sarawrites.