Inspectors said restaurants in Manatee County continue to be cited for violations related to mold, dirty hands and storing food at the proper temperature.
- At Taco Bell, 5410 Manatee Ave. W., Bradenton, food was cold held at temperatures higher than 41 degrees, according to an inspector. Guacamole, diced tomatoes and plant foods were stored around 47 degrees. A toxic substance was stored in close proximity to single-serve items, as well. That violation was corrected on-site, the inspector said. An inspector also said the certified food manager lacked knowledge of foodborne illnesses and symptoms of illness that would prevent an employee from working with food, clean equipment and utensils. The restaurant had no proof of required state-approved employee training for an employee hired more than 60 days ago.
- The self-service drink machine at McDonald’s, 8494 Lockwood Ridge Dr., Sarasota, contained a buildup of mold-like substance, according to an inspector. Employees corrected the violation by cleaning the machine. The inspector observed an employee crack an egg while wearing gloves and then remove those gloves to handle cooked eggs without washing their hands first. Food was also cold held at the wrong temperatures. A milk jug relayed a temperature reading of 52 degrees. Corrective action was taken, according to the inspector.
- An inspector issued a stop sale on mashed cauliflower potatoes that had not cooled from 135 degrees to 70 degrees within two hours at Fresh Kitchen Sarasota, 8491 Cooper Creek Blvd. #101, Bradenton. The food had been cooling for three hours but was still around 86 degrees. The manager voluntarily discarded the item. There was also an issue with food being hot held properly. According to an inspector, almond chicken on the serving line was at only 100 degrees. The issue was corrected by reheating the food to 170 degrees. There also was a spray bottle containing toxic substance that wasn’t labeled in the dishroom.
- The dishwasher at Key Royale Club, 700 Key Royale Dr., Holmes Beach, was observed handling soiled dishes or utensils and then clean ones without washing their hands. The issue was corrected on-site, the inspector said. There was also food in a walk-in cooler that had been prepared more than seven days ago. Also, food that had been prepared more than 24 hours ago wasn’t properly date-marked, an inspector said.
- A stop sale was issued at Bealls Bistro by Pier 22, 700 13th Ave. E. According to an inspector, a cooked chicken and cheese mix, butter cream spread, and sour cream portions were all being cold held at temperatures higher than 41 degrees. The manager voluntarily tossed the items.
- At Smoqehouse, 1701 Gulf Dr., Bradenton Beach, shellfish, chicken patties and plant foods were cold held at temperatures greater than 41 degrees. Also, an inspector said the food manager hadn’t been certified within 30 days of employment.
- Sliced tomatoes and cut leafy greens at Checker’s, 6020 U.S. 301, Ellenton, were cold held at temperatures greater than 41 degrees, an inspector said. The manager added additional ice to cool the products.
- An inspector issued a stop sale on diced tomatoes, chopped garlic and shrimp that had not been stored at temperatures below 41 degrees at Sixty East, 2219 60th Ave. E., Ellenton. The manager discarded the items. There was also an accumulation of mold-like substance in the interior of the ice machine.