Manatee County restaurants were cited for numerous issues, including failure to cool foods in the required time and lack of employee training or certification. One restaurant was shut down, but said the mistake stemmed from construction and routine pest control.
- Fire & Stone, 10519 Cortez Road W., Bradenton, was temporarily shut down by food inspectors after they discovered rodent activity based on about 45 droppings found in the restaurant. Fire & Stone emailed the Bradenton Herald in advance of this article and explained the circumstances behind the closure. The location has been under heavy construction for the past few months, which inspectors said could agitate “insects, rodents and other pests.” The restaurant hired a pest exterminator who “inadvertently failed to remove one of the traps the following morning.” Fire & Stone was shut down Nov. 28 but reopened the next day after passing an inspection. “We took full responsibility and are very sorry that this issue has occurred,” the restaurant said in a statement. Fire & Stone also was cited for not properly displaying how long pizzas had been on the buffet line and a server who handled dishes or food without washing their hands.
- Inspectors at K&L Caribbean Restaurant, 624 Ninth Ave. W., Bradenton, discovered that cooked food hadn’t been cooled from 135 degrees to 41 degrees within six hours. Inspectors said they observed stew chicken prepared the previous day stored at 46 degrees. The restaurant also was operating without a Division of Hotels and Restaurants license and was cited for storing raw animal food over ready-to-eat food.
- Cream of AMI, 103-B Gulf Dr. N., Bradenton Beach, was found not to have a certified food manager on duty and the person in charge at the time of the inspection lacked the knowledge of which illnesses and symptoms would prevent an employee from working with food.
- At The Sandbar, 100 Spring Ave., Anna Maria, inspectors cited the restaurant for not cooling food from 135 degrees to 40 degrees within six hours.
- At Oma Pizza, 201 N. Gulf Dr., Bradenton Beach, marinara sauce was not cooled to below 41 degrees within the required four hours. Inspectors said containers of sauce were observed at 53, 49 and 47 degrees.
- Joe’s Eats & Sweets, 219 S. Gulf Dr., Bradenton Beach, was cited for improper wiping cloth and dish machine sanitization strengths. Inspectors also noted a buildup of black/green mold-like substance inside an ice bin. Food managers were not certified and lacked proper knowledge about which illnesses and symptoms might prevent an employee from working with food. Employees hired more than 60 days ago also had no proof of state-approved training.
- Raw animal food was found stored over ready-to-eat food at Island Creperie, 127 Bridge St., Bradenton Beach, according to inspectors. The restaurant also was cited for missing a vacuum breaker at the hose bibb.