MANATEE -- A resident illegally burning yard trash was ruled to be the cause of a fire that caused about $20,000 worth of damage to four separate properties Thursday, Cedar Hammock Fire Rescue reports.
Firefighters were dispatched at about 2:40 p.m. to the 6700 block of 14th Street West.
When the unit first responded on scene a column of heavy smoke could be seen east of the location and additional fire units were dispatched, according to a media release. Four engines from Cedar Hammock and Southern Manatee fire districts worked for about half an hour to contain the fires.
Officials at Cedar Hammock Fire Rescue are warning residents outside fire burning is prohibited, and the dry conditions in the county make for high fire hazards.