Get into the holiday spirit with the Bradenton Herald's Cookie-A-Day newsletter. We’re sending out a cookie recipe every day from Dec. 1 to 25.
CRUST & CRUMB TOPPING
Crisco Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
1 1/2 cups quick rolled oats
3/4 cup Pillsbury All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup Crisco Butter Shortening
OR 3/4 stick Crisco Butter Shortening Sticks
2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese, softened
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
APPLE RAISIN FILLING
1 cup peeled, chopped Granny Smith apples
1/2 cup raisins
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1. HEAT oven to 350ºF. Coat a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray.
2. COMBINE oats, flour, brown sugar and sugar in large bowl, mixing well. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1 cup mixture. Press remaining into bottom of prepared pan. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until mixture is set. Do not brown. Place on cooling rack.
3. BEAT cream cheese, eggs, sugar and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until well blended. Spread evenly over partially baked crust.
4. COMBINE apples and raisins in medium bowl. Stir in almond extract. Mix in sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. Spread evenly on top of cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle reserved oat crumbs on top.
5. BAKE 20 to 25 minutes or until top is golden. Place on cooling rack to cool completely. Chill at least 1 hour. Cut into bars.