1. Make a family disaster plan that outlines a plan of action before and after the storm.
2. Get a hurricane evacuation map for Manatee County (www.bradenton.com/hurricane) and know evacuation zones for your area.
3. Decide now where to relocate should a mandatory evacuation be ordered. Determine a route, leave early and travel the shortest distance possible to get out of harm’s way.
4. Check disaster supply kits and obtain any items needed.
Never miss a local story.
5. Make plans and purchase materials, such as storm shutters, to protect your home before the storm.
6. Keep homes in good repair, tacking down loose roofing, trimming trees and keeping gutters clean.
7. Purchase a battery-powered weather alert radio and a non-electric land-line phone.
8. Inventory property and possessions on paper and take a video survey of property. Store with insurance and other important papers in a safe place and send a copy to a relative out of the area.
9. Make sure street address numbers are clearly marked on homes.
10. Review insurance policies with insurance agents.
Source: Tampa Bay Regional Planning Council