Tampa teen in attack meets with Palestinian president

July 8, 2014 

Family and friends of 15-year-old Palestinian-American Tariq Abu Khdeir pleaded for his safe return to the U.S. at news conference in Tampa, Florida Monday. (July 7) Subscribe for more Breaking News: http://smarturl.it/AssociatedPress Get updates and more Breaking News here: http://smarturl.it/APBreakingNews The Associated Press is the essential global news network, delivering fast, unbiased news from every corner of the world to all media platforms and formats. AP's commitment to independent, comprehensive journalism has deep roots. Founded in 1846, AP has covered all the major news events of the past 165 years, providing high-quality, informed reporting of everything from wars and elections to championship games and royal weddings. AP is the largest and most trusted source of independent news and information. Today, AP employs the latest technology to collect and distribute content - we have daily uploads covering the latest and breaking news in the world of politics, sport and entertainment. Join us in a conversation about world events, the newsgathering process or whatever aspect of the news universe you find interesting or important. Subscribe: http://smarturl.it/AssociatedPress http://www.ap.org/ https://plus.google.com/+AP/ https://www.facebook.com/APNews https://twitter.com/AP


RAMALLAH -- Despite his home detention, Tariq Abu Khdeir traveled to the West Bank town of Ramallah to meet Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.

The Palestinian-American teenager from Tampa beaten by Israeli security forces is back with his family and attention has turned to investigating the attack. Abu Khdeir, 15, was badly beaten during clashes with Israeli security forces in Jerusalem last week.

According to Israeli police, a policeman had been temporarily suspended while an investigation into the teen's beating takes place.

"Justice has not been served," Tariq Abu Khdeir said. "They still have a lot of stuff to do. They still have to go through a lot of things. We have to let them who is right and what's wrong."

His family members are expected to talk publicly Monday about that beating, which was recorded. Abu Khdeir is spending nine days under house arrest. Israeli police say he resisted arrest, attacked officers and was carrying a slingshot for lobbing stones when he was arrested.

Tariq Abu Khdeir is a sophomore Tampa's Universal Academy of Florida high school and is in east Jerusalem visiting family members. As he returned to them early Sunday, he was crying and appeared badly bruised, with both eyes and his mouth swollen. "I feel better, I am excited to be back home," he said. The confrontation happened during protests over the killing of Khdeir's 16-year-old cousin, which followed the earlier deaths of three Israeli teens.

Mohammed Abu Khdeir, 16, was abducted last week and his charred body found a short while later in a Jerusalem forest.

Israel arrested six Jewish suspects Sunday in the slaying, and Israeli leaders appealed for calm amid signs the death was revenge for the recent killings of the three Israeli teens.

His killing set off a wave of violent Palestinian protests in and around Jerusalem that later spread to Arab towns in the north. About 50 people were arrested in several days of demonstrations following Abu Khdeir's death, and 15 police officers and two civilians were injured, police said.

Later today, the Florida Council on American Islamic Relations will hold a press conference with the Tariq Abu Khdeir's family.

Report: Suspects make confession Three Israeli suspects in the killing of a Palestinian teenager who was abducted and burned to death last week confessed to the crime on Monday and were re-enacting the incident for authorities, an official said, as the country's leaders raced to contain a public uproar over the slaying.

The authorities reported the confessions as violence continued on Israel's volatile front with the Gaza Strip.

Palestinian militants bombarded Israel with some 40 rockets and mortars, drawing Israeli airstrikes in retaliation, and at least eight Palestinian militants were killed. As Israel pressed ahead with a mobilization of forces along the Gaza border, the Hamas militant group vowed revenge, saying "the enemy will pay a tremendous price."

Bradenton Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service