NBC wants George Zimmerman's defamation lawsuit thrown out

June 19, 2014 

George Zimmerman, during an exclusive interview with CNN's Chris Cuomo on Sunday, Feb. 16, 2014. (VIDEO STILL/CNN)

SANFORD -- George Zimmerman’s defamation lawsuit against NBC Universal heads back to court in Seminole County.

NBC will argue to have the case thrown out, saying Zimmerman’s claim is unfounded.

Zimmerman filed the lawsuit against NBC in 2012, claiming NBC aired edited versions of the 911 call he made right before he shot and killed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.

The network actually ended up firing three producers.

The hearing was previously postponed because the judge wanted to wait until after Zimmerman’s murder trial finished.

Attorneys for NBC said they believe the lawsuit should be tossed out because Zimmerman did not meet Florida state law retraction requirements.

NBC’s lawyers also said the harms Zimmerman said he's suffered were not because of the broadcasted 911 call on NBC.

On the website Zimmerman’s attorneys set up for this lawsuit, attorneys for the former neighborhood watchman said “NBC News saw the death of Trayvon Martin not as a tragedy but as an opportunity to increase ratings..."

Judge Debra Nelson, who also presided over Zimmerman’s murder trial, will oversee today’s hearing.

Zimmerman was acquitted of second-degree murder in July 2013.

Bradenton Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service