Spring football | Cape Coral routs Bayshore 45-7

Fort Myers News-PressMay 24, 2014 

CAPE CORAL -- The Cape Coral Seahawks gave their fans quite a show Friday night.

Cape defeated Bayshore 45-7 in spring football at Dave Warkentin Stadium on the Cape Coral High School campus.

"Overall we showed a lot of promise for this fall," Seahawks coach Larry Gary said.

The Seahawks, 7-3 a year ago, had little trouble with a Bruins squad coming off a 2-8 season.

Rasheen Bailey got the show started for the Seahawks, scoring the first three touchdowns of the night.

Bailey returned an interception 53 yards for a touchdown, then caught a 20-yard pass from Elliot Pierce and a 33-yarder from Dylan Bontraeger.

Pierce got the start at quarterback Friday night. Bontraeger, the starter last season, had just returned to the football team after the Seahawks baseball team's run to the regional final.

The one problem Cape Coral had was allowing pressure on Pierce and Bontrager.

"Our inexperience is on our defensive front and our offensive line," Gary said. "We'll work on that this fall."

The Cape special teams got into the act when Quintin Canty grabbed a blocked Caleb Freeman punt and scored from 5 yards out.

Four Parker Stone extra points made it 28-0 Seahawks after one quarter.

Stone, a converted soccer player, hit a 38-yard field goal in the third quarter in his Seahawks football debut.

Junior-to-be Jordan Lewis scored on a 16-yard run in the second period.

Lewis made his bid to be the heir apparent to Eamon Smart as Cape's workhorse running back. He 130 yards rushing, including a 32-yard touchdown in the third quarter.

Gary said that Issac Washington, who wasn't available to play Friday night, would join Lewis at the running back position in the fall.

"He'll come back in the fall and help out at running back," Gary said.

Bailey had another big play on defense, dropping Bayshore's Jamar Johnson for a 16-yard loss on fourth down to the the Bruins' only first-half trip into Cape Coral territory.

Colin Loethen had two sacks on the night for the Seahawks, who recovered three Bayshore fumbles.

The Bruins avoided being shut out when David Lopez scored on a 1-yard run with 1:47 remaining.

The game was called with 18.6 seconds to play after an altercation resulted in personal fouls on both teams.

"We'll learn," Gary said of the game's premature ending.

Bradenton Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service