Fourteen places out of 32 at Lee County speaks well for our district players.
FL P-12A, Dec. 16 at Lee County. Ladies Main: 1. Ann Wedel-Judy Taylor 2 . Shirley McCullough-Marilyn Everett, 4. Terri Smith. Men Main: 1. Mike Marquis-Jerry Everett, 2. Jerry Stannard-Charlie Hearn, 3. Gene McCullough. Consolation: 1. Stan Kowalewski-Terry Howell, 3. Jim L. Miller-Clarence Gingerich.
FL P-12B, Dec. 16 at Clearwater, M/L Division. Consolation: 2. John L. Brown-Gilbert Broadhead.
FL A-08, Dec. 16 at Clearwater, Any Amateurs/Any Doubles. Main: Paul Nadeau-Bill Comford, 4. Lloyd Schmidt-Terry Wright.
SWCD D-11, Dec. 19 at Golf Lakes, M/L Draw Doubles Restricted to State Ams and Pros, 16 frames or 75 points. Ladies Main: 1 Joan McCurdy-Pam Nurnberger, 2. Joyce Marquis-Marlene Slosser, 3. Sharon Hoyt-Marilyn Everett, 4. Flo Childerhose-Shirley McCullough. Consolation: 1. Alice Barlow-Sue Daidone, 2. Marlene Coburn-Kathy Smith, 3. Letha DeVries-Arlene McCague, 4. Carolyn Bailey-Carol Butcher. Men Main: 1. Ron Lewandowski-Larry Mardis, 2. Ed Leonard-John Ulicny, 3. Mike Keeping-Grant Childerhose, 4. Bill Batdorff-Ira Snook. Consolation: 1. Mike Marquis-Jim Miller, 2. Jerry Stannard-Darrel Blake, 3. Hank Hoekstra-Faren VanDeGrift, 4. Vern Wallingford-Ron Nurnburger.
SWCD A-7, Dec. 20 at Golf Lakes, Any Amateurs/Any Doubles. 16 frames or 75 points. Main: 1. Don Webster-Jack Welty, 2. Paul Johnson-Gary Hartzler, 3. Carol McLeod-Betty Sparks, 4. Paul Maille-Brad Thomas. Consolation: 1. Eleanor Bart-Phil Krick, 2. Ruby Flickinger-Patty Yates, 3. Tammy Heppeard-Delmer Kohorst, 4. George Rice-Ron Lenz.
Thursday at Bradenton Shuffle Club, FL P-13, M/L Doubles, 75 points. Same Day at Bradenton FL A-09 Any Amateurs/Any Doubles, 75 points.
Jan. 2, FL P-14A at Sebring, P-14B at Clearwater, M/L Doubles, 75 points. Also Jan. 2 at Palmetto FL A-10, Any Amateurs/Any Doubles, 75 points.
As we approach the date of the SWCD Open Board Meeting at 1 p.m. Jan. 4 at Bradenton, players and clubs should consider possible issues.
1. The SWCD Roofover Research Committee should be made up of future players, not just veterans. Those willing to help come and volunteer or call Mike Marquis (941-345-4777) or John L. Brown (941-756-8548).
2. A search is on for shufflers in the Lakewood Ranch communities. Let this columnist know of any players out there. It is time to build a new club that could have a wonderful future.
3. Some SWCD Club should offer "No Two Pros," which has a wonderful past but was dropped in the current schedule. It would not have to be the last tournament date necessarily.
4. Another schedule improvement could be a second Mixed Doubles, which was always pleasant but was dropped for no good reasons just a few years ago.
5. YOU may have an issue of new business YOU would like to offer. Please feel welcome at the OPEN Board Meetings. January and March remain in this season.
Merry Christmas and happy shuffling.