Southbound lanes of I-75 in Sarasota reopened 13 hours after crash

December 18, 2013 

Southbound Interstate 75 near North Port was closed Wednesday after a dump truck struck an overpass. BAY NEWS 9 PHOTO

SARASOTA -- The southbound lanes of Interstate 75 near North Port have been re-opened, about 13 hours after they were closed after a crash damaged an overpass.

About 2:35 a.m., the dump truck -- with the dump bed improperly left in the upright position -- was heading south on I-75 approaching the Ponce De Leon Boulevard overpass, near mile marker 184 in North Port. As the truck passed under the overpass, the dump bed struck the north overpass sidewall, according to a news release.

The collision caused the dump bed to separate from the vehicle and fall to the roadway, FHP said.

After the impact, the truck continued south on I-75, before coming to rest on the shoulder of the highway.

The driver, later identified as Bonnie D. Ramsingh, 56, of North Miami, ran from the scene, but was later located by North Port police, FHP said.

"All southbound lanes of I-75 are closed until DOT inspectors can assess the damage to the overpass," FHP said at 7 a.m.

FHP said the closure could last between 24 and 48 hours, but as of 3:45 p.m., the interstate had been reopened.

Bradenton Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service