Report: Jonathan Martin likely won’t return to Miami Dolphins this season

Miami HeraldNovember 11, 2013 

Dolphins in Turmoil Football

FILE - In this Dec. 16, 2012 file photo, Miami Dolphins tackle Jonathan Martin (71) watches from the sidelines during the second half of an NFL football game against the Jacksonville Jaguars, in Miami. In the stadium program sold at the Dolphins' game on Halloween, Richie Incognito was asked who's the easiest teammate to scare. His answer: Jonathan Martin. The troubled, troubling relationship between the two offensive linemen took an ominous turn Monday, Nov. 4, 2013, with fresh revelations: Incognito sent text messages to his teammate that were racist and threatening, two people familiar with the situation said. (AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee, File)

WILFREDO LEE — AP

TAMPA -- Jonathan Martin likely will not return to the Miami Dolphins this season, ESPN reported Monday afternoon.

Martin wants to play football again, but believes he can’t do it in Miami, a source told ESPN’s Lisa Salters, the network reported.

If true, the move should come as little surprise. Through his agent, Martin has alleged he suffered emotional and physical abuse at the hands of his teammates.

He has been away from the team for two weeks, undergoing treatment for emotional issues.

Since Martin has been gone, several of his teammates – including members of the Dolphins offensive line – have publicly questioned his actions, and have expressed strong support for Richie Incognito.

When asked last week if Martin has abandoned the team, Bryant McKinnie told the Miami Herald: “In a sense, he did when he decided to leave.”

Added McKinnie: “That’s what he chose to do. That put us in a situation where we had to move things around and now it’s affected us again, because Richie’s been suspended. So we’ve lost two starters.”

The Dolphins play the Buccaneers on national television Monday night. Owner Stephen Ross, who has been largely silent during this ordeal, is expected to attend.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/11/11/3746112/report-jonathan-martin-likely.html#storylink=cpy

Bradenton Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service