Females dominate Lakewood Ranch HS honors level

Special to the Bradenton HeraldNovember 4, 2013 

Lakewood Ranch High School honors and advanced placemment classes are dominated by females. PHOTO PROVIDED

Lakewood Ranch High School registration officials have released statistics on the school's gender population breakdown.

Many LRHS students said they were shocked by the numbers.

Even though 51 percent of the student population is male, leaving 49 percent female, honors and accelerated course populations are dominated by girls. Fifty-six percent of the seats in LRHS advanced classes are occupied by females.

"That's crazy," said junior Marissa Dyer. "It doesn't seem like that when you look around your class, but ... I counted the people in my AP class and less than half of the students were guys."

LRHS isn't alone.

College Stats.org reports since 2000, roughly 60 percent of all students in American colleges are females.

This is an astounding shift from just 12.2 percent in 1947.

This shift has been mostly noticed in colleges and larger universities. The gender switch is affecting LRHS students as they continue their education.

The U.S. Department of Education announced only two-thirds of men enroll into college or universities right after high school, and less than 50 percent chose a four-year degree program.

Ivy League schools have a much more even population between their male and female students, especially for schools known for computer science and engineering programs.

Men are statistically less likely to take AP courses and exams, which is reflected at LRHS.

Boys are also more likely to drop out of high school than girls in most states.

The National Longitudinal Survey of Youth reveals student loans, low income and minority men are more likely to drop out because of financial discouragement and lack of encouragement at home.

However, resources are available to men and women at schools to help prepare and fund their college education. Students can find tips online for getting a college plan, such as starting early, asking for help and finding a mentor.

"I had no idea what I wanted to do after graduation, but I talked to my guidance counselor, my parents and my teachers and they helped me get a plan in place," said LRHS senior Jesse Horton said, "Now I know where I want to apply, and that I'm going to major in business."

LRHS students can schedule appointments with their guidance counselors to discuss a course of action for college.

Financial aid is available for students who apply, and scholarships can be found through student guidance counselors or college advisers.

There are options for all students to achieve their dreams and college education and teachers, counselors and college advisers at LRHS and other schools can help students every step of the way.

Bradenton Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service