MANATEE -- A 52-year-old homeless man is charged with sexual battery after investigators say he molested a young Bradenton girl.
Randy Dunkum was arrested at 3:26 p.m. Tuesday and charged with capital sexual battery, according to an arrest report. Bond was set at $500,000.
Dunkum was scheduled to appear Wednesday before Manatee County Judge John Lakin, but refused to do so.
Assistant State Attorney Cynthia Evers was in court for the case.
"This child is ... at a fragile age," Evers told Lakin.
Evers requested bond be set at $500,000 to avoid subjecting the victim to a potential bond hearing.
Evers cited Dunkum's criminal history, which goes back to the late 1970s and includes charges of battery, domestic battery, grand theft, burglary and firing a weapon into a dwelling.
"Obviously he has a long history of criminality," Lakin said before granting the prosecutor's request and ordering a no-contact order with the victim. Dunkum and the girl knew one another.
Dunkum had just completed serving a 22-month sentence in a Florida State prison for his most recent battery conviction following a charge of lewd and lascivious molestation.
In his most recent battery conviction Aug. 10, 2009, Dunkum was charged with molesting a 7-year-old girl. In that case Dunkum also knew the girl.
The current alleged sexual battery case involving the Bradenton victim occurred in January 2012, according to his arrest warrant. Dunkum had been on probation at the time but was later sent to prison after violating the terms of his probation.
Jessica De Leon, law enforcement reporter, can be reached at 941-745-7049. You can follow her on Twitter@JDeLeon1012.