SARASOTA -- A Bradenton man will be sentenced Tuesday after he was found guilty last week of committing a home invasion robbery of a mother and son in northern Sarasota County.
A jury late Thursday convicted Yancy Steen, 25, of home invasion robbery and resisting arrest without violence.
Sarasota police reported in a news release Monday that Steen entered a home in the 1800 block of 29th Street, Sarasota, around 12:50 a.m. Jan. 21, and held a handgun to the heads of a mother and her 11-year-old son. Steen ransacked the home and was later apprehended by law enforcement.
"The State Attorney's Office did a great job prosecuting this case," said Sarasota police Detective Tony DeFrancisco. "I'm happy the victims
and family can gain closure with the conviction of a violent criminal."
Steen will be sentenced at 8:45 a.m. by Judge Charles Roberts in Courtroom 4B of the Sarasota County Judicial Center.
"Due to the quick response of law enforcement, this man who robbed a woman and a 11-year-old child at gunpoint in their own home will be off our streets for a very long time," said Assistant State Attorney Kennedy Legler, who prosecuted the case with Suzanne O'Donnell.