7 injured in riot at Florida juvenile detention facility

Associated PressAugust 18, 2013 

MIAMI -- Male teens at a juvenile detention facility destroyed several buildings and sparked two fires during a riot, injuring seven people, authorities said Sunday.

Eighteen of the 20 buildings at Avon Park Youth Academy were destroyed, causing hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage. Rioters confiscated a guard's radio Saturday night and all of the staff golf carts, and set fire to a building containing the teens' records. A trash bin was also set ablaze, according to Polk County Sheriff's officials.

The riots started after a group of teens from St. Petersburg were playing a basketball game against a group of teens from Orlando. The winning team had to give the losers three cups of soup, but the losing team refused and a fight broke out. Other teens that weren't involved in the game joined the melee, sheriff's officials said.

Staff are forbidden from using specialty equipment, including pepper spray, which would have allowed them to deal with the fight before it escalated, authorities said.

Seven teens were transported to Florida Hospital in Sebring with minor injuries, ranging from a broken leg to cuts and a concussion. No staffers or law enforcement officials were injured.

Avon Park Youth Academy is a 144-bed, moderate-risk program for males in the juvenile justice system between the ages of 16 and 19 years old.

It's a non-secure facility, meaning youth are not confined to their rooms during the day. They are allowed to move about without handcuffs or shackles for activities, while accompanied by staff at all times. Teens are taught job skills and receive mental health and substance abuse treatment, according to a spokeswoman from the Department of Juvenile Justice.

The agency runs the facility, but contracts the security guards and staff with the private company G4S.

Roughly 150 law enforcement officials, including K-9 units, SWAT team and air support, eventually forced the juveniles to surrender. The staff was evacuated from the compound and the teens were handcuffed and escorted out of the riot area. Authorities said no juveniles escaped during the riot and the remaining 73 teens were secured at Avon Park.

Sixty-four teens were transferred to a county jail in Frostproof in state custody under the supervision of G4S. They are separated from adult inmates, authorities said.

Bradenton Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service