PALMETTO -- Preliminary results from an autopsy conducted on Kyrese Dwayne Anderson revealed the 3-year-old toddler died from unusually high body temperature, according to the Manatee County Sheriff's Office.
Anderson was left in the back seat of the family's black 2005 Chevy SUV Saturday afternoon for three to four hours while his parents attended a funeral, according to detectives.
No charges have been made as the MSO investigation continues. It has been ruled an accidental death for now, according to Manatee County Sheriff's Office spokesman Dave Bristow.
"We have not decided if we are going to send this to the State Attorney's Office," Bristow said. "That is certainly a possibility."
Anderson's parents arrived in separate cars at a babysitter's house Saturday on the 2700 block of Fifth Avenue East in Palmetto to drop three children off so they could attend a family funeral.
As the result of a mix-up, each parent took in one of the children, ages 4 and 5, respectively, but not the youngest. The baby-sitter also did not realize the oversight.
"She assumed that the 3-year-old had gone with the parents," Bristow said. "So she had no idea."
When the parents returned
they realized he was not inside the baby-sitter's house and began to search for him. They found the boy unresponsive inside the SUV.
"They brought him inside of the residence and began CPR and called 911," according to the incident report.
Paramedics arrived five minutes after the call was dispatched at 4:19 p.m. Upon their arrival they called for deputies. The boy was pronounced dead at 4:27 p.m.
The parents became hysterical, according to deputies. They were allowed to be alone with the child as a crowd that had gathered was held back by deputies.
The paramedic who pronounced the child dead said when he "arrived on scene the child was only wearing a black shirt and already had rigor mortis and lividity showing."
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, a vehicle with outside temperatures in the low 80s and a window rolled down 2 inches can reach deadly heat levels in as little as 10 minutes. Children under the age of 4 are also at higher risk for heat-related illness since their bodies overheat easily.
A review of cases by the NHTSA found most fatalities from child hyperthermia cases result from a change in the driver's routine.
The family has not wished to make any comments.
Jessica De Leon, law enforcement reporter, can be reached at 941-745-7049. You can follow her on Twitter @JDeLeon1012.